1. There is no substitute for talking with God about important decisions in our lives. Positive intentions and popular support can’t replace a humble posture of prayer that bows to the will of God – “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”
2. “I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine-tenths of the trouble with people is just here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome when our hearts are ready to do the Lord's will, whatever it may be. When one is truly in this state, it is usually but a little way to the knowledge of what His will is.” [George Muller]
3. Jesus said, “Seek FIRST the kingdom of God and His righteousness…” [Matthew 6:33] The operative word is - first.
4. We often think we know better than God or can improve upon His ways. So, we too try to carry the gospel on the world’s new cart.
5. In this world there will be ever-present the temptation to carry our faith on a “new cart” like the Philistines, rather than on the shoulders of the faithful as prescribed in God’s Word.
6. “Atonement” is the state of being at-one (or reconciled) with a holy God. But the reconciliation is accomplished by means of a sacrifice that satisfies all outstanding offenses.
7. Bottom line - the holiness of God is not a thing to be trifled with - not then, and not now.
8. As sinners in need of mercy and grace, we dare not approach the presence of a holy God without an appropriate covering for our sin.
9. Good intentions and good works will never satisfy a God who refuses to dwell with sin. [Psalm 5:4]