1. God’s heart is revealed as much in the story behind a conversion as in the conversion itself!
2. Unbelief is the ultimate insanity! (Psalm 53:1)
3. Unbelief doesn’t persist because God is silent. It persists because the unbelieving are arrogant. (Romans 1:21; Ephesians 4:18)
4. We can be restored to spiritual sanity.
5. God’s gracious promptings are often hard. But where they’re hard they’re hard out of necessity.
6. God’s hardness is an expression of His patience. It signals He hasn’t given up on us; He’s just changed His tactics.
7. When God’s pursuing our heart, a hard time may be the gracious prelude to our recovery.
8. The God who invites us to taste and see that He is good may require us to taste and see that unbelief is not good!
9. Sanity always returns when we focus on God’s heart!
10. When human intellect defies God, God allows it to be darkened. (Romans 1)
11. The rejection of God destroys human reason. (Proverbs 15:33; Isaiah 44:20; Romans 1)
12. Believers must not attempt to shield the unbelieving from God’s hard-edged grace!
13. It’s impossible to be more compassionate than God! His hard-edged grace is more loving than our soft-edged love.
14. You can doubt God’s grace because of a hard place or find His grace in it.