We are the Creation of God.
Psalm 139:13–16 (ESV)
What is the makeup of mankind?
1 Thessalonians 5:23 (ESV)
Body, Soul and Spirit. Let’s take a look at these.
- Body – our physical being.
- Soul – our mental being, passions, desires and natural inclination of the person.
- Spirit – the part of mankind that is capable of having communion with God.
Hebrews 4:12–13 (ESV)
In a practical sense, what does any of this matter while we go about trying to live life and make it to heaven?
- Body: We had one before we were saved and after.
- Soul: We had one before we were saved and after.
- Spirit: It was dead.
Remember that death in the Bible means separation.
- Stephen as he was stoned: “I commend my spirit to you.”
- Jesus warned us not to worry about those who could kill the flesh but those who could destroy the soul.
- The writer in Hebrews said, “It is appointed unto man once to die and then judgement.”
- John speaks of those condemned to Hell – second death.
The spirit of man was separated from communion with God.
What was supposed to bring a right bearing into our lives was our connection with God, but it was separated by our sin.
John 3:1–6 (ESV)
1 Corinthians 2:12–14 (ESV)
Why is this important?
- You must be born again.
- You must begin to walk in the Spirit.
Ephesians 5:15–18 (ESV)
The terms here mean, “being filled with the Spirit.” It is a constant, ongoing process.
How do we stay connected?
- The Word -2 Timothy 3:16–17 (ESV)
1. Hearing the Word builds faith.
2. Reading the Word bring clarity.